With a year full of so many ups and a handful of downs it's hard to believe that 2013 is really coming to an end, already! Already!? Sheesh that was fast.
For me the ups of 2013 were way up including running a personal best and securing a spot on my first international US team in the 100 hurdles, traveling the world to run and actually sightsee, having the #2 time in the world this year and starting my crossover appeal campaign! WHEW! But in the same token the downs were way down too. In August I lost my maternal and last living grandmother right before heading to Moscow for World Championships. While I prayed and hoped that the loss could help fuel me to hurdle even faster, in the end I think that my heart was broken and I was just never really able to fully recover before it was time for me to race :'(. I love you Grandma Gloria.
But with all the happenings of my year I wanted to talk about 5 things that are uber popular in 2013 that I really REALLY hope will fizzle and die out with this upcoming year.
5. Recording & Posting Kids Fighting: WorldStar and other media sites have ran rampant with videos of fighting and violence this year, especially of young people (most notably the "Sharkeisha video). While it may be funny to some it is HORRIFYING to me and in general! I mean when people send me a video to look at and it involves fighting I literally am cringing the whole time and cut it off way before it's finished. We have to better and promote more positivity! Now everyone is looking for the next big fight just to be able to yell "WORLD STAR!"
4. Health/Fitness Pushers: Don't get me wrong I LOVE fitness, eating clean and people on the quest to help others achieve their health goals however what I do NOT appreciate is my IG and Twitter being spammed by all these "fitness coaches" trying to get me to buy their product or showing me extremely unrealistic before and after shots where the before person is sad and poking their stomach out and after they're sucking it in to get abs! HA HA Help others but don't just make health and wellness a gimmick, please.
3. Fake Butts: Can we PLEASEEEEE let this DIE! They've been around since 2012 but seemed to come full throttle in 2013. I can appreciate beautifully shaped bodies just like anyone can and everyone loves to have some curves here and there but this is ridiculous! When I see women (or men) with big butts and those skinny legs I can't help but think how weird they look and how they're NOT FOOLING ANYONE!
2. "Hipsters": Being yourself, having progressive views on art, fashion, and politics is GREAT! But once a subculture becomes mainstream honey, you are no longer hip...STERS! lol Between all the thrifting this and vintage that, I just want the real hipsters to please stand up. I understand the bohemian look is cute and I indulge in Urban Outfitters from time to time myself but I'm seriously over everyone acting like they just threw on what they wanted to wear and don't CARE what society thinks. lol NEXT!
and the number 1 fad from 2013 that HAS to stop in 2014 is...
1. TWERKING! OK we get it, now get over it! Twerking in no way started in 2013 but I think it might be about time to let it rest in peace. I remember us trying to learn how to twerk back in middle school and hoping that our parents would never find out. Now it's everywhere including prime time television! Once Miley Cyrus decided to twerk on stage and introduce it to the mainstream (AKA mostly the "non-black" community) I knew that it was officially played out and had to be put away for good, or at least in the archives to sit until generations from now the new "hipsters" will unearth it and recycle it once again! :)
BONUS: Leather jogging pants. They're comfort and fashion all wrapped up in one but now I think they have served their purpose and are officially played out. Thank you Kanye for letting us know they were your idea but no thank you we will no longer be needing them. There are more fabrics in the world, LET'S GOOOO!! lol
Thanks for spending time with me this year reading about my what's goings on! As I always say and truly mean, I appreciate the support and love and look forward to a new year and all new stories and thoughts to post for you all!! :)
****Disclaimer: Please don't get offended if any of this applies to you or if you don't find it funny or accurate. It was done in good fun and I hope it brought a laugh or smile to your lips!****
Leave a Reply.